Key Contact Program
What is the Key Contact Program?
Modeled on NAR’s “Federal Political Coordinators” program, a “Key Contact” is a Minnesota Realtors® (MNR) member who volunteers to help advocate for policies that advance the interest of Realtors, homeowners, and those aspiring to become homeowners, at the state Capitol by establishing and maintaining relationships with state legislators. These relationships will provide an opportunity for Realtor® members to connect with their state legislator(s) about the status of the market and provide policy insights on MNR’s legislative priorities. Although beneficial, you do not need to have an existing relationship with your legislator(s) to become a Key Contact. What is required is a commitment to building a relationship with the legislator(s) over time and staying in contact with them.
What Does a Key Contact Do?
- Contact their Minnesota legislator(s) three times a year or when needed to help assist the MNR lobby team
- Respond promptly to requests from your legislator(s)
- This can include providing information on a bill that is moving through the legislative process, sharing a market update for the district, identifying MNR’s position on specific legislation, or letting MNR’s lobbyists know follow-up with the legislator is necessary
- Attend Housing Day at the Capitol
- Perhaps join MNR lobbyists for a meeting with your legislator(s) to emphasize the importance of an issue under consideration or to provide real-world expertise regarding real estate
- Perhaps join MNR lobbyists for testimony before legislative committees
- Stays up to date on legislative activity during session by reading the weekly update articles put out by MNR lobbyists
How Do I Get Involved?
The MNR Key Contacts Program was initiated with a small group of members for the 2021 Session and will be growing in the years to come.
To learn more, please contact Matt Spellman (email@example.com).